Cherries in Winter

Saturday, December 19, 2009


The month of December has been going by so quickly that sometimes I lose track of what day it is, but today when I realized that it's the 19th already I was startled to think of just how close I am to being done with this project. I am both excited to be done and just a little bit sad that it's almost over. I would be really sad if I wasn't already planning to finish the blog beyond this year because, while I'm happy that I will soon have a break from having to put a blog entry up every day, I don't want to be doing with this whole blogging business altogether. I have grown much more attached to it than I ever expected, especially considering I was the kind of person who mocked blogs before writing one (I really should be more careful what I mock because I almost always end up doing it at some point.)

Today's book, "When Suzan Colon was laid off from her dream job at a magazine during the economic downturn of 2008, she needed to cut her budget way, way back - and that meant home cooking. Her mother suggested, "Why don't you look in Nan's recipe folder?" In the basement, Suzan found the tattered treasure, full of handwritten and meticulously typed recipes, peppered with her grandmother Matilda's commentary in the margins. Reading it, Suzan realized she had found something more than a collection of recipes - she had found the key to her family's survival of hard times."

Shallow thoughts:

  • I loved today's book! It was the kind of book that was perfect for reading in one day (I've had a bad run of luck with books that aren't good for that lately) and I got sucked into it immediately. I was on the very first page when I already knew I was going to love the book. But then I have always been a big fan of books about food. What could be better than combining my two favorite things, reading and cooking. If I was a different sort of person I might consider it cheating to read a book that has recipes - but I read recipes like they are poetry so there's no skipping over them for me. I read every single one.

  • I was going to pick out one of the recipes from today's book to cook today, so I could report back to my dear readers about how it tasted - but I couldn't find one that I wasn't allergic to. Instead I will tell you about the strangest recipe in the book: Hot Dog Soup (a version of Split Pea Soup the author improvised when she was out of ham.) Perhaps I will pass the recipe along to my Dad who considers the four food groups to consist of: hot dogs, steak, pork chops, and sausage. That's it. He could live off of those things. He can be eating one of them and think of the other and end up having a Homer Simpson-esque moment of "HMMMMM STEAK."

  • Favorite passage: "I was never a picky eater as a kid. Mom remembers that even as a toddler I had a curious palate. "You loved martini olives," she says. "What were you doing feeding martini olives to a two-year-old?" I ask. She shrugs, "It was the sixties. . . " - This sounds startlingly close to my Mothers excuse for letting me eat cookies for breakfast when I was a child, "It was the 80s, people didn't know about nutrition then. "