Julia's Chocolates

Sunday, December 20, 2009
I spent the day with my family, reading today's book while they were making Christmas cookies. And while she was making Christmas cookies, Alissa managed to squeeze in some time to peer pressured me into doing a countdown to the end of the blog.
So here you go Alissa: 12 days left of the blogging project.
Can you believe it dear readers, only 12 days left? I can't even wrap my mind around that. I remember when it was February and this point of the year seemed so far away, and now here I am so close to the end. It just doesn't feel real yet. And I'm going to have to give this some more thought before I come to the last entry of the year, so I will have something more articulate to say that sums up the year.

















Mom baked the cookies, Dad and Alissa helped decorate them and Oliver "helped" by checking to make sure the powdered sugar was at its freshest. We've discovered this holiday season, that Oliver is a very helpful dog - he likes to "check" the garland to make sure it's in the right place, he likes to rearrange bows on packages, and he loves to "check" the water in the Christmas tree to make sure its fresh.


Today's book, "The quirky debut romance from Lamb opens as Julia Bennett flees the Boston altar where her blue blood abuser fiancé, Robert Stanfield III, awaits her. She leaves her wedding gown in a North Dakota tree, and arrives in the tiny town of Golden, Oregon to take refuge with her beloved Aunt Lydia. As Julia slowly returns to a semblance of normalcy, Lydia's eccentric friends soon become Julia's near and dear as well: minister's wife Lara, psychic Caroline and abused wife Katie all have their own hidden pains, to which Julia can relate. Robert, who hit her and made her feel bad about her body, is never far from her thoughts, nor is her incapacitating "Dread Disease"-a feeling of panic she can't name."

Chocolate thoughts:

  • Mid-way through reading today's book I realized that this is the third chocolate-related book I've read in the last three months. First there was Choclat, and then Hershey. Clearly my subconscious is trying to telling me something. Lucky for me, and my subconscious, Christmas is coming and so is the suspension of the no-sugar rule, so there's a chocolate cupcake in my very near future. All of the chocolate books were good, but in order of enjoyment it goes: Chocolat, Hershey, and then today's book. Today's book was good, but I didn't get instantly sucked into it the way I did with Chocolat and there were no fun facts like in Hershey. And the book started to get tackier and tackier as it went. Normally I enjoy a tacky book now and then - just as I enjoy a tacky episode of Roseanne every now and then, but the tackiness started to wear thing after awhile.

  • My favorite line of the book was the first one (that's right, the first one - how lazy can I get?), "I left my wedding dress hanging in a tree somewhere in North Dakota." - I love it when a book has a really intriguing first sentence, particularly when it's as odd as that one. So many authors start out with lackluster first sentences, and it's such a wasted opportunity.

  • The odd parts of the book did not stop with the first sentence of the book. Here is another example of the weirdness, "During my visit, people would come to a screeching halt in front of Aunt Lydia's house, as usual. Not because it looked like a pink marshmallow, burned in the center, and not just because she has eight toilets in her front yard." - I'm not even going to tell you whether today's book is worth reading dear readers - I'm not even going to presume to know whether you are the kind of people who enjoy reading about the kind of people who keep toilets in their front yards. I personally enjoy reading about people like that to a point, so I'm glad that I read today's book but I don't think I would want to read it a second time.