Marley & Me

Wednesday, January 14, 2009


I have become totally obsessed with keeping track of how many people have come to the blog from day to day. Every morning I wake up and tell myself, "Today, I'm not even going to check," but that ends up lasting for about 10 minutes and then I cave. I check the stats about every hour, which sounds bad, but I consider it real progress because I've cut back from every 15 minutes down to just once per hour. Maybe tomorrow I'll work up to an hour and 15 minutes. Maybe by July I'll have even worked up to going an entire day without checking. Oh, for those simple innocent days between January 1st and January 4th when I was still trying to figure out how to install the stat counter. It was a different then, and I was a different person. I think it's time now to move on today's book - but first dear readers, let me apologize for that last sentence. I have a bad habit of watching made for t.v. movies and occasionally I start talking (and writing) like I'm starring in one.

Now on to today's book:

I'm sure most of you already know what today's book is about, but just in case you haven't seen the commercials they play for the movie that come on about five times an hour: "Labrador retrievers are generally considered even-tempered, calm and reliable;and then there's Marley, the subject of this delightful tribute to one Lab who doesn't fit the mold. Grogan, a columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer, and his wife, Jenny, were newly married and living in West Palm Beach when they decided that owning a dog would give them a foretaste of the parenthood they anticipated. Marley was a sweet, affectionate puppy who grew into a lovably naughty, hyperactive dog."

After spending a few hours with Oliver yesterday, I decided it just seemed to fit to read Marley & Me today. Since reading it I've gained some perspective where Oliver is concerned - in fact, he's suddenly starting to look really well behaved. He's never pulled a table across a crowded restaurant in pursuit of another dog, dismantled his cage in an attempt to escape, destroyed the dry wall to any rooms, swallowed the covering to stereo equipment, or knocked over any friends or relatives. But then, he's only been in the family for a month, so perhaps he just hasn't had time yet to destroy any personal property yet.

Starting tomorrow I'm going to try to stop obsessing over the numbers, but before I do that I have a few more numbers to to discuss. It's time for the end of the week count:

CHAPTERS - 160

PAGES - 1,970

Bringing the total so far for the whole year to:

CHAPTERS - 241

PAGES - 3,871

I'm kind of surprised by the numbers. It really doesn't feel like I've read 3,871 pages. But maybe that's because my horrible memory has already wiped out all thoughts of the first 7 or 8 books that I've read.