Chore Whore: Adventures of a Celebrity Personal Assistant

Monday, February 9, 2009
I would have had this entry up about an hour ago - but I got distracted for a while with the news that my aunt just won the lottery. No dear readers, I'm not kidding, one of my realtives really just won the lottery. I'm going to attempt to write this entry now, but please forgive me if it's incoherent, I'm a bit distracted right now.

Yesterday after looking through my sister's baby book, we pulled out my baby book - and I discovered that my love of books can be traced back to infancy. Here are a few excerpts from my baby book: 11 months: Angie loves to sit and play with books. 18 months: Angie loves books. 3 years: Angie loves having stories read to her. 5 years: Angie loves books and writing words.
.
After I was finished looking through my baby book I showed one of my faithful readers Kara into the inner sanctum, otherwise known as my to-read stacks. I let her pick out the books for this week. She was overwhelmed for a moment by the magnitude of the stacks, but she quickly began having fun picking out books. Thanks for the help Kara - it was a nice change of pace to wake up this morning and not have to figure out what to read.
.
Today's book; "After working thanklessly for a dozen celebrities at a time for nearly twenty years, Corki Brown has finally reached her breaking point. For Corki, mundane tasks have suddenly morphed into the surreal, and when her ten-year-old son starts exhibiting some very strange habits, the need for change becomes clear. Using her wits and her talents learned from years of mothering self-centered stars, Corki devises a plan of escape - to save herself, her family, and, ultimately, her sanity."
.
The description of the book was a bit misleading - I don't recall the part where Corki devised a plan - it was more along the lines of someone else gave her a job offer and she took it. But I guess for the sake of selling books, they had to make it sound like a melodramatic TV-movie-of-the-week kind of moment.
.
This book was very similar to another "I worked in Hollywood and got treated like crap" book, You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again. This book wasn't as good as that one was though, so if you want to read this kind of book I would recommend the nanny one instead.
.
In the beginning the author tells about how she came to be a Hollywood assistant. She describes finding out during her college graduation that there was a mistake, and she was actually 12 credits shy of getting her bachelor's degree. I've a high school-related recurring dream about that for the last 10 years. For the first 7 years after I graduated I had a dream/nightmare where I found out that I hadn't really graduated, and then I would argue and protest and say, "But I already went to high school. I don't want to go back" - but for some reason I always did go back. Then finally, about 3 years ago, I would get to the point where I would refuse to go back. I'm not sure what that dream is supposed to mean, but I find it curious that I'm still having that dream more than 10 years after graduating. I have another recurring dream that has been happening for about 10 years as well - in which I am being forced to live somewhere ugly. I haven't even bothered to try to analyze that dream, because I'm pretty sure it just means that I'm shallow. One day I told my mother about that recurring dream and I discovered that she's been having that same dream for years - so I come by my shallowness honestly.
.
Okay, sorry to cut this entry short, but I have to go call all of my relatives. Nothing interesting has happened in our family in years, so we have to revel in the interesting news when it happens.