Seabiscuit

Wednesday, October 28, 2009


It's chapter and page count time dear readers.

For the week:

CHAPTERS - 201

PAGES - 2,392

For the year so far:

CHAPTERS - 6,144

PAGES - 78,426

PAGES TO GO TO GET TO 100,000 PAGES: 21,574

WEEKS LEFT OF PROJECT: 9

Today's book, "Hillenbrand unearths the rarefied world of thoroughbred horse racing in this captivating account of one of the sport's legends. Though no longer a household name, Seabiscuit enjoyed great celebrity during the 1930s and 1940s, drawing record crowds to his races around the country. Not an overtly impressive physical specimen"His stubby legs were a study in unsound construction, with huge, squarish, asymmetrical 'baseball glove' knees that didn't quite straighten all the way" the horse seemed to transcend his physicality as he won race after race."

My sister peer pressured me into reading today's book, and since she couldn't possibly pick any crappier books than the ones I pick, I decided to go with her suggestion. I was hesitant because I'm not an animal lover, and so I really had no interest in reading today's book (see what a good sister I am - I give, and I give, and I give.) But, I'm glad that I read the book, not only because it got me to my page count goal for the week, but also because I enjoyed the book. I have watched the movie Seabiscuit, but thanks to having the world's worst memory, I've retain none of the details and so approached the story today with fresh eyes (is anyone else starting to see the resemblance between me and Dori from Finding Nemo.)

My sister has informed me that the author of today's book had chronic fatigue syndrome while writing the book. Oh yeah Ms. Author, well I see your one chronic illness and I raise you two more and food allergies. Top that Little Miss. Tragic. Okay, it's possible that my competitive nature has gotten off the track a little bit - and I might be starting to resemble this girl I knew in high school who always had a bigger problem than everyone else. If I had a hangnail she had a gaping wound. If I had a headache she had a brain tumor. We spent ridiculous amounts of time trying to out-drama-queen one another before I finally decided to pick up the two remaining shreds of dignity that I had left and walk away from the situation - but I did so still thoroughly convinced that I was leading a life so tragic that she couldn't even begin to comprehend the pain I'd endured. Show of hands, who here is feeling happy that they didn't know me in high school? Now it's time to travel back to reality, where I actually feel a certain kinship with the author - because we have both seen the dark side, we have sunk to the depths in order to rise to the heights. . . okay, sorry, I still haven't gotten the drama out of my system.

Fun facts:

  • The author informs us that in the early days of the automobile, "The laws of at least one town required automobile drivers to stop, get out, and fire off Roman candles every time horse-drawn vehicles came into view." - I spent at least 15 pages being annoyed that the author does not specify which town, and then another ten minutes imaging how dramatic it could be to stand on the side of the road waving around candles. You know candlelight is the most flattering light, so at least the driver would look really attractive while standing on the side of the road muttering under his or her breath, "These damn laws that make no sense. How the hell am I supposed to get anywhere if I have to keep stopping every five minutes." And I feel, and I'm sure you'll all agree, that if you have to be annoyed you should at least get to look really good while being irritated.

  • Horses generally sleep in brief sessions all throughout the day and night. - Like a newborn, but without that cute little stretching thing that babies always do when they wake up. I feel so informed now. I can't wait until the next time I can whip out that fun fact at a social gathering. Oh who am I kidding, I won't even remember that by the time I'm done posting this blog entry.