The Diary

Monday, July 13, 2009


I watched TV today for the first time in almost three weeks. I guess that means the no TV phase is over. So I think it's safe to say that yesterday's book about giving up TV did not inspire me. In fact, I didn't just watch TV, I watched bad TV, The Bachelorette. I probably should be too embarrassed to admit that but I seem to have no shame when it comes to this blog. And, because I believe that if something is worth doing it's worth doing right, I'm now watching Designing Women. The phase is officially over and it ended in a blaze of glory.

Today's book, "When two grown daughters discover their mother's diary in her attic, they are stunned to learn her true love was not their father. But is all as it seems? That's the mystery they must unravel as their mother lies near death in a nursing home. Only the pages of her diary can provide the clues that will reveal the truth. In a richly detailed journey into the past, we see the young Elizabeth Marshall lose her heart to one man while remaining devoted to another. Finally, she must choose between the stable, loyal Bob. . . and the electrifying and unpredictable AJ."

Shallow thoughts:

  • A woman choosing between two men, what a perfect book to read on Bachelorette night. Although, unlike on the show, there wasn't a clear normal one that I wanted to get the final rose and a clear sickening person that I want to be sent home in tears. But I consider that a plus in a book. I really can't stand it when authors try to vilify one character in order to try to manipulate the readers into thinking the other character is the clear choice.

  • I had a very hard time getting my mind to accept the time period the story took place in. The book alternates between the present day and the 50s, and yet during the parts that took place in the 50s I kept imagining it being at least 50s years earlier. Since my imagination has proven itself to be extremely strong willed and totally unwilling to compromise I decided to just go with it.

  • The book Lady Chatterly's Lover was mentioned several times in the book and I was reminded of how I started reading that book when I was in junior high. I never actually finished it because my Mother discovered what I was reading and confiscated the book because It'll give you the wrong ideas. I think I'm going to have to read the book again sometime soon now that I don't have to worry anymore about losing my telephone privileges.

I would definitely recommend today's book - I really enjoyed it. Although I wouldn't hold it against you if you refused to take recommendations from someone who considers watching The Bachelorette a valuable use of my time.