Hattie Big Sky

Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 2 of not being able to access my Twitter page: Rations are low and despair is setting in.

It's possible that I might be acting too dramatic about this whole Twitter thing. However, this moment of self-awareness is not going to stop me from being really dramatic again if it's still not working tomorrow (but I promise dear readers, I will restrict my whining about it to those who are unfortunate enough to be around me in person tomorrow.)

Today's book, "In this engaging historical novel set in 1918, 16-year-old orphan Hattie Brooks leaves Iowa and travels to a Montana homestead inherited from her uncle. In the beautiful but harsh setting, she has less than a year to fence and cultivate the land in order to keep it."

Shallow thoughts:

  • I picked today's book because I read a book review that compared it to the Little House books. I personally didn't see any similarities, other than both stories taking place on homesteads, but I did still enjoy the book. I got sucked into the book almost immediately - which was how I managed to overcook the food I was making while reading. I still haven't perfected the whole cooking-while-reading thing, although I am getting better at reading while cleaning, reading while watching TV, reading while having conversations (which is really rude, but no one seems to mind), and reading while driving (okay, not really - but I do read at red lights.) And then of course, reading today's book made me think, What would it be like to read in a covered wagon? But, I'm probably going to just have to go on wondering, since the chances of that ever happening are rather slim. Although I do live near a large Amish community, so maybe I could try out reading while in a buggy.

  • I spent about fifty pages of today's book reeling from all of the references to buckwheat pancakes. Are there really people who eat those kind of pancakes? I tried to make them once - because I enjoyed the thought of eating something that didn't have wheat in it but that still had the word wheat in it's name - but I couldn't get past the smell in order to actually eat them. It smelled like the part of a history museum where they keep the mummies.

  • And now it's time for another installment of "Everything Angie Reads Reminds Her Of A TV Show," because I actually managed to think about Golden Girls while reading a book about the prairie. I don't know how I did it, but I found a way, and all it took was one reference to a Sears catalog. It instantly made me think about the episode where Blanche decided to become a writer, and she stays up all night writing a manuscript, and when Rose tells her that what she wrote makes no sense, Blance replies, "What could you possible know about it, you're from Minnesota. People from Minnesota are considered well read if they make it through the Sears catalog." Once I finish writing this blog entry I should probably have some reflective time, where I contemplate how my life got the point where a reference to a catalog can cause me to replay an entire episode of a TV show in my head. But the chances of that actually happening are pretty slim, especially since I will most likely be spending the rest of the day watching that episode. I really should watch it, because I love all of the references Blanche kept making to writers, my favorite one being, "Writers see things differently than the average person, our perceptions are keener."