The Quilter's Kitchen

Wednesday, April 1, 2009


Today is the end of week 13 and so it's time for the end of the week count.

For this week:

CHAPTERS - 230

PAGES - 1,860

For the year so far:

CHAPTERS - 1,854

PAGES - 23,748

Today's book; "This is the third Elm Creek Quilt novel intended especially for the holidays. The volume’s action takes place in one day as Anna, the new chef of Elm Creek Manor (first introduced in 2006’s Circle of Quilters), and matriarch Sylvia Compson pack up their outmoded kitchen so that a much-needed remodeling can take place. In the process, Anna learns about some of the past history of the manor and the Elm Creek Quilters. Soon she is planning a cookbook with recipes for welcoming banquets, quilting bees, picnics, potlucks, harvests, and farewell breakfasts, in addition to holiday recipes for National Quilting Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years."

I picked today's book because I've always wanted to make a quilt, and since I've reached a point of honesty with myself when it comes to my crafting aspirations, I've accepted that it will probably never happen. So I've decided to read about people making quilts instead. Although, technically, I did try to make a quilt once. When I was about 8 years old I overheard my Mother saying that she wanted a quilt and so I decided to make one for her. But I knew nothing about sewing so I didn't realize that you're supposed to fold the edges of the fabric over and sew a clean edge before then sewing the pieces of fabric together. I wish I could say the jagged edges were the worst part of the quilt, but it was actually the most tasteful part of the quilt. It was the 80's and so my fabric choices were a bit on the hideous side (dusty rose and light blue). And then of course I didn't realize that I was supposed to sew backing onto the fabric, and then I got tired so I didn't actually finish and I ended up with what was essentially a quilted place mat. My Mother put it on her bedside table and kept it there until I was 21 when she mercifully put it away.

Today's book was heavy on recipes and light on the actual story, which would have made me feel like I was cheating if not for the fact that I read cookbooks the way I read novels. So I actually did read all of the recipes. Reading the cake recipes was an unpleasant experience since I'm allergic to cake. But, on second thought, why would I want cake when I can eat some refreshing carrot sticks instead. That's what I tell myself whenever there is cake or cookies or anything that looks good in my field of vision, "Cookies? Why would I want cookies when I can have this delicious apples instead. Pizza? No, I don't want pizza, I'd rather have this exciting piece of grilled chicken." I also like to pretend like those around me are secretly jealous of my allergy-free food. I look around when I'm in public and I imagine the couple sitting nearby having a conversation that goes a little something like this:

Mavis: Earl, run to the store and get me some rice cakes.

Earl: But honey, you've got fried chicken, mashed potatoes, bread and pie right here.

Mavis: I don't want fried chicken and pie. I want rice cakes like the kind that healthy girl over there is eatin.' (I don't know why, but I like to imagine that Mavis and Earl as being kind of folksy, it makes the rice cakes go down easier for reasons which are beyond my understanding).

And then I sit back and smile and say to whoever happens to be with me at the time, "She's so obviously jealous of me. Isn't it sad when people can't be happy with what they have."

I swear, that conversation is not part of the April Fools joke, I really do that. And I believe my sister can confirm that for all of you in the comments section.