Sundays at Tiffany's

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I've started having nightmares about the blog. I had one a few nights ago that involved me looking up at the clock and realizing it was 9 o'clock at night and I hadn't read the book yet. I woke up from that dream, and for just a second I couldn't figure out if it was real or not. I sat in the dark, wracking my brain, trying to figure out what book I had read that day. And then finally I remembered, and I felt such relief. I spent the next ten minutes telling myself over and over again It was just a dream. I remember when I used to have nightmares about normal things; being forced to live somewhere ugly, being forced to go back to high school again. . . Okay, so I've actually never had normal nightmares, before but this one felt odd even for me.

Today's book; "AN IMAGINARY FRIEND: Jane Margaux is a lonely little girl. Her mother, the powerful head of a New York theater company, makes time for her only once a week, for their Sunday trip to admire jewelry at Tiffany's. Jane has only one friend: a handsome, comforting, funny man named Michael. He's perfect. But only she can see him. Michael can't stay forever, though. On Jane's eighth birthday he leaves, promising that she'll forget him soon. He was there to help her until she was old enough to manage on her own, and now there are other children who need his help. AN UNEXPECTED LOVE:Years later, in her thirties, Jane is just as alone as she was as a child. And despite her own success as a playwright, she is even more trapped by her overbearing mother. Then she meets Michael again--as handsome, smart and perfect as she remembers him to be. But not even Michael knows the reason they've really been reunited.AND AN UNFORGETTABLE TWIST: Sundays at Tiffany's is a heart-wrenching love story that surpasses all expectations of why these people have been brought together. With the breathtaking momentum and gripping emotional twists that have made James Patterson a bestseller all over the world, Sundays at Tiffany's takes an altogether fresh look at the timeless and transforming power of love."

Shallow thoughts:

  • I picked today's book because of how cheesy it sounded. I can't seem to turn away from a really cheesy sounding book, song, or TV movie. I'm not really sure why. It's been a few weeks since I've read a book with a ridiculous sounding plot, so it felt like it was time to read another one.


  • The plot of today's book wasn't the only odd thing about it. The book didn't feel very cohesive to me - in fact, I kind of felt like I was reading four short stories instead of a novel. The book started out well - with the exception of a brief mention of Leave it to Beaver which resulted in the theme song to that show getting stuck in my head for 30 minutes. Then it took a really odd twist, which required a complete suspension of reality in order to continue reading the book - but I've watched soap operas for years so I'm quite good at that by now. After the weird part, came a really boring part in the middle. It was so dull that I kept getting distracted by pointless, little details in the book (I wonder if the Oreos Jane ate were regular or double stuffed. Was the mustard on her hot dog regular or Grey Poupon?). It's never a good sign when a book gets so boring you have to pep it up by wondering about the filling in the cookies the characters are eating. Then it took about 5 or 6 more weird turns which kind of gave me literary whiplash (and not in a good way) - before mercifully ending. I enjoy a book that has a good twist to it, but I think there is a limit to how many twists a book can contain before it starts to feel exhausting. I feel totally worn out from reading this book - and I would go and rest but I'm afraid I'll fall asleep and have another blogging nightmare.