Might As Well Laugh About It

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Before I get to today's entry I want to welcome all of the new followers (or dear readers as I have now renamed the followers section) that have shown up over the last few days. I'm so close to 100 followers, and I'm so excited about it.



I've decided (or actually my sister decided) that I should do a quick Best-of-the-Blog feature for all of you new readers who don't have time to catch up on four months worth of entries. Today I'm going to share my favorite entry from each month, and tomorrow I'm going to share the favorite book from each month. It's kind of odd that my favorite books didn't produce my favorite entries - in fact, my favorite entries came from books that I didn't enjoy reading all that much. I have no idea how that happened.

January - http://abookaday09.blogspot.com/2009/01/heartbeat.html

February - http://abookaday09.blogspot.com/2009/02/million-dollar-nanny.html

March - http://abookaday09.blogspot.com/2009/03/you-learn-by-living.html

April - http://abookaday09.blogspot.com/2009/04/duggers-20-and-counting.html


Today's book, "After losing decades of journals in a 2005 house fire, Marie writes out her most vivid memories and influential experiences, the public and the very personal, as true life stories for both her own children and her countless fans, whom she has always considered to be "family." The beloved superstar opens the door to her thoughts on many of her milestones and missteps, career pressures and expectations, her phenomenally popular line of collectible dolls, marriage and divorce, depression, weight issues, tough choices, and the incredibly joys and challenges in being a working mother raising eight children."

I woke up this morning and decided that I haven't read enough autobiographies this year - but I should have known not to pick an autobiography of someone who is a singer. Every time I do that the Curse of the Singer's Autobiography occurs, in which I get a really cheesy song that person sang in the 80's stuck in my head. In this case I had Meet Me In Montana stuck in my head off and on for 9 hours, and let me tell you that song doesn't get any better the seventh hour it's playing. WHY? Why does this keep happening to me? First Mama He's Crazy, and now this. Why can't I ever get a good song stuck in my head? If you've never heard Meet Me In Montana I strongly encourage you to go search for it on youtube, not because I think you'll actually enjoy it but because I don't like to suffer alone. If I'm going to be stuck having an unpleasant experience I see no reason why I shouldn't drag atleast 3 or 4 people along for the ride.

While reading this book I learned that Marie and I have a lot in common. I'm delusional enough to think I have tons of things in common with every celebrity that I like - but this time I have a list to go along with my delusions:

  • We're both directions impaired. - (She got once lost using a GPS system as well. I've never actually heard of anyone but me doing that. She also talks about how annoying the voice from the GPS system is when you get lost, and I really have to agree. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I feel like the voice (who I've named Karen) is mocking me when I get lost, with those snotty little comments about how I need to get back on the main route. I have to keep reminding myself that it's not a real person, just a machine, so that I can keep from yelling at it, "You know what Karen, I don't need your imput right now. And I don't appreciate that smug tone you're taking with me.")

  • We both have parents who should have thought more carefully before picking our names. (Her real name is Olive. Ick. I actually like my first name - but my parents owe me a serious apology for my middle name which would be a much more appropriate name for someone who had a job jumping out of the top of cakes.)

  • We're both horrified by the ending of the movie Grease. (She turned down the role because she was upset by the message that the end of the movie was sending to young girls. Or as Marie puts it, "From my perspective, it was not a story of a girl becoming a woman; it was a story of a girl becoming a sex object.")

Okay, so that's only three small things, so maybe we don't actually have that much in common afterall.