Jane and Prudence

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Today was a good blogging day. I felt weirdly productive. I was able to read this book, part of another book, and fit in a few episode of Dallas and still have time for actual, grown-up, responsible things like work. I'm clearly invigorated by Fall. The leaves are falling, the air is crisp and I feel the overwhelming urge to make applesauce (don't ask me to explain that one dear readers) and visit a pumpkin patch. And it's dangerously close to time to get out It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. And yes, I do actually watch that every year, and I'm not going to let the fact that I'm now in my 30s stop me from watching it again this year. And, I've been known to get the DVD out as early as late September (because I watch it more than once.)

Today's book, "One of Barbara Pym's first novels, this story of the friendship between two women - one the less-than-perfect clergyman's wife, the other younger and unmarried - will delight readers who have come to love Barbara Pym's gently mocking tales of English life and manners."

Shallow thoughts:

  • I picked today's book because I liked the cover (because it reminded me of cartoons) and because I thought How can I go wrong with a book that is filled with mocking? As it turns out, I still went wrong. The bad streak continues, with another book that I didn't like. I am determined I will break the streak tomorrow. Stay tuned dear readers.

  • Today's book was one of those novels where nothing happens. Those can go either way - either they feel really cozy and relaxing, or they can bore a reader to tears. Today's book started out feeling cozy and relaxing, and lulled me into a false sense of security, and just when I started to think it was a really good book, it began to bore me to tears.

  • Favorite sentence, "Prudence Bates was twenty-nine, an age that is often rather desperate for a woman who has no yet married." - I have no idea why that sentence amuses me since I am now past twenty-nine (I'm just tossing that piece of information out there for those of you who didn't witness my 42 day long "My Birthday Is Coming And I'm Going To Be 30" extravaganza) and so I should really be slightly irritated by that statement. The same thing happened to me when I saw the movie Pride & Prejudice shortly after turning 27 and one of the main characters was talking about how she was 27 and had no prospects. I laughed until people in the movie theater started to look at me funny. It's beyond me why I'm amused by the kind of thing that normal people are offended by - but I don't even question it anymore, I just go with it.

And now dear readers, I simply must get back to Dallas because I have to find out who ends up as president of Ewing Oil, Bobby or J.R.