Life Is Short But Wide

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Happy first day of September dear readers. I love September - not only because it's birthday month - but also because Autumn is my favorite time of year. I love everything about it - especially since I am now past school age and can fully enjoy the season without all of that "I have to go to stupid school and waste my time on stupid things" bitterness. And I'm so excited that Autumn seems to be happening earlier than usual this year. I can already feel that crispness in the air and I'm feeling invigorated by it. I'm also feeling very excited that I have several new followers. Thank you to my newest dear readers - I'm so glad you've decided to stick around - you've helped me to get a little bit closer to my 200 followers by September 8th goal and I'm very happy about that.

Today's book, "With another multigenerational, wonderfully crafted Midwest ensemble cast, Cooper presents the town of Wideland, Okla., through the eyes of folksy nonagenarian Hattie B. Brown. This community sentinel, though sometimes short on memory, acts as tour guide and historian, introducing the town at the beginning of the 20th century, when the railroad first arrived and, with it, a growing population. Among the new residents, Hattie introduces the industrious, loving African-American cowboy Val Strong and his Cherokee brother-friend Wings; Val's hardened but beautiful wife, Irene Lowell; and their two strong-willed daughters, Rose and Tante. Following the Strong family and their associates through the better part of the 1900s, Hattie finds history running roughshod through their lives, crushing some and strengthening others, introducing new generations and obstacles to love, home and happiness. Cooper's characteristic motherly wit carries an appealing raft of characters through a world tougher than it is tender, but touched with beauty and wisdom."

Shallow thoughts:

  • I wanted to like today's book - I really did. It had that seal on the front that said "Recommended read Essence book club" and whenever a book has any kind of seal on the front, I go into it thinking that I really should like it. How could I not like it . . . because it's got that seal on it . . . and that must make it better than the books that done. Basically, I'm like an eight year old when it comes to this kind of thing. But I didn't like the book. At one point I had to turn on Golden Girls just to get through it. I spent the entire day counting down the pages until I was done. I rarely like books that are popular - I'm a book freak that way. I'm the same way with movies, if it gets a great review then it's practically a guarantee that I won't like it.

  • One of my big problems with the book could very well have just come about because of my one-day limit, and that was the dialect. It's very difficult to read a book quickly when this is how believe looks: blive. Excuse me for being a lazy reader, but I don't want to have to work that hard to figure out what people are saying. Maybe if I was taking a week to read the book that would work - but when I'm reading a book in one day I have to get the show on the road as quickly as possible.

  • And then there was this disturbing sentence, "She still didn't know if she loved him when she agreed to marry him." - I used to watch a lot of Oprah and Dr. Phil (although that last part fills me with shame), so I'm well aware that this kind of thing happens - but I still find it startling.

I feel very harsh for saying this, but there wasn't any part of the book that I did enjoy, so I definitely would not recommend this book. But, since I'm a book freak, you might not want to take my advice on this subject.