The Road Home

Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Today is the end of week 12 so it's time for the end of the week count.

For the week:

CHAPTERS - 135

PAGES - 1,956

For the entire year so far:

CHAPTERS - 1,624

PAGES - 21,888

I'm so excited that I passed the 20,000 mark this week.

Today's book; "This gently compelling chronicle details the transformation of a dilapidated little house into a genuine home. After purchasing an abandoned Boy Scout cabin in rural Vermont, fortyish Eliza Thomas took stock of her life and realized she had neglected to put down any roots. Inspired by desire and necessity to create both a viable living space and a nurturing environment for herself and her newly adopted daughter, Thomas energetically tackled the seemingly overwhelming task of clearing four acres of land and rehabbing a tiny one-room shack into a cozy wilderness retreat."

Spring, when a young girls thoughts turn to home renovation. Okay, so I'm not really a young girl anymore, but you get the point. Spring makes me want to renovate something so I can experience the wonderful smell of new wood and paint. For today I'm going to have to settle for reading about other people renovating things. I could practically smell the new wood while reading.

The other reason I picked today's book was because it was short. There I said it. I'm a blogging slacker. I have a huge list of things that have to get done today and I'm on the verge of getting the flu (in fact, I'm feeling ever so slightly incoherent as I write this), so I needed a light and easy book to read.

At one point during the book the author describes her partner Julian cutting away the brush around their property with a machete. I was having trouble with the mental image of that because my Mother has always referred to my chef's knife as a machete. She completely terrified of it, and when she's in the kitchen when I'm cooking she says things like, "Your machete is making me nervous." So I kept imagining someone out in the woods, cutting away brush with a chef's knife.