Eating My Words

Monday, June 22, 2009


Today's book, " Sheraton's got a plum job: the New York Times's restaurant critic in the 1970s and '80s, she's also worked as a consultant for the Four Seasons and a food writer for New York magazine. Her forthright, enthusiastic memoir instantly engages, as she tells of her adventures as a food lover and journalist, from her years as a newlywed in postwar Greenwich Village to the present."

It's been a long time since I've read any food related books - at least I think it's been a long time, but how would I really know since I seem to forget about every book I read as soon as the next day comes - so I decided today would be the perfect day to read another one. Today's book was alright, not wonderful but decent enough to spend one day on. I would have been very disappointed in it though if I only had time to read a few books a month because it just wasn't quite interesting enough to justify taking valuable reading time away from more interesting books. Lucky for me I don't have to worry about such things, if a book turns out to be mediocre I can always tell myself I have 29 more chances to read a really good book this month. And that has really given me a chance to branch out and try new genres that I might not have wanted to take a chance on before.

As much as I enjoy reading books about food, I do have a hard time relating to books writing by food critics because my taste in food could best be described as common. In other words, if it doesn't come in a box and include a flavor packet that has to be stirred in then I don't consider it real food. I'm being forced against my will to eat real food because my allergies prevent me from eating packaged foods - but I'm doing it while mentally kicking and screaming. So when the author was complaining about how horrible school lunches are all I could think was I beg to differ. Okay so there was that crappy Taco Haystack thing that I hated, but then on the flip side there was the heavily processed Mexican Pizza that was amazing, and those star crunch cookies that were so filled with sugar I could practically feel my teeth rotting while eating them - you know, real food. I just don't understand food snobs. How on earth could a person not appreciate the joy and wonder that is an Oreo dipped in mint chocolate - it's too perfect for words, why would you want some snooty gourmet food when you could have that? But alas, my Oreo days are over - and now I'm stuck eating food that actually occurs in nature, food that doesn't have that delightful layer of powdered cheese on it, food that has ingredients that I can actually pronounce, food that doesn't have that special dye-infested glow - it's awful.

Here's your fun fact for the day dear readers: In the 40s it was a common trend for women in high school and college to wear what was referred to as Sloppy Joe sweaters. It was bugging me throughout the whole book because the author never explained what a Sloppy Joe sweater is, so of course I had to look it up otherwise it would be bugging me for the next three to five days. A Sloppy Joe sweater is a long, baggy pullover sweater, commonly worn with blue jeans. I guess the next time I see someone in public who is stuck in a time warp instead of leaning over and whispering to whoever is with me "Look at the hideous monstrosity over there" (and yes I really am that catty), I can just say, "Doesn't that woman know that Sloppy Joe sweaters are so 1940s." Although now that I think about it, it sounds more like something from the 80s than the 40s.