The Shade of My Own Tree

Wednesday, June 17, 2009


Today - making it's triumphant return to the blog - is the picture of today's book. My computer actually cooperated today, which really saved me a lot of time that would have otherwise been spent screaming at the computer and calling it names (a blogger's job is never done). I probably should stop that ridiculous habit of calling electronics names when they malfunction - but it's just too much fun to give it up. You just can't beat the joy of yelling at something that you know will never be able to respond with Oh yeah, well I'm sick of your whining.

Today is the end of week 23, so it's page and chapter count time. I know what you're thinking dear readers Page and chapter count time? Could we really be so lucky? I like to picture you all saying that using your best "I'm a teenager in a sitcom from the 50s and so everything is really, really exciting, even the stuff that no teenager would ever be dorky enough to find exciting" voice.

For the week:

CHAPTERS - 156

PAGES - 1,739

For the year so far:

CHAPTERS - 3,431

PAGES - 44,201

Now I know it's going to be hard dear readers, but you're going to have to wait another week to get another update like this. Now go tell Bud and Kitten it's time for dinner - and I expect to see clean hands when you show up at the table or no dessert for you.

Today's book, "The courage to change doesn't come easy. When Opal Sullivan walks out on an abusive husband after fifteen years, she has only her dreams in her pocket. Her new beginning starts in Appalachian River country, where she sees a bit of herself in a graceful but dilapidated house. Like Opal, the house is worn-out and somewhat beaten up, but it still stands proudly and deserves a second chance. So Opal opens her doors - and her heart - to a parade of unforgettable characters."

I was about ten pages into today's book when I started to think that the name of the author of today's book sounded familiar (and no this isn't another one of those "Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap I think I read the same book twice" kind of stories.) So I did a little investigative research and found out that the author of today's book also wrote another book I recently read for the blog:
http://abookaday09.blogspot.com/2009/06/girls-most-likely.html (Ahahahaha, don't you love the sneaky little way I tricked you into artificially inflating my page numbers when the entry was already on the front page anyway - I'm cagey that way.) Since I enjoyed the other book by this author I figured I would like this book too, but no such luck. I ended up feeling very disappointed. The first chapter felt a little too much like a public service announcement on abusive relationships. I haven't seen an attempt to educate people that awkward since that week last summer when Days of Our Lives attempted to let us all know how easy it was to "Go Green." It went a little something like this, "Oh Hope darling, I don't think I can live without you, or without my Brita water filter which allows me to drastically cut down on the amount of plastic water bottles I use."

Chapter Two was filled with a story about a haunted house. How could they deceive me this way and sneak a creepy story into a book with such a wholesome looking cover. I guess I'll be sleeping with the light tonight. For the record dear readers: the story wasn't even that creepy, so as long as you're not the kind of person who gets creeped out by ghost stories told on cartoons then you should be fine. What is wrong with this stupid spellcheck thing, don't they realize that "creeped out" is the only appropriate expression to use in this instance. Well pardon me spellcheck for not using the fancy-schmancy words that you prefer. I think Mr. Spellcheck is getting just as smug as Karen the GPS woman (and for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, here's an entry that will explain it:
http://abookaday09.blogspot.com/2009/05/might-as-well-laugh-about-it.html - and proving that my shamelessness never ends, I just linked back to an article that has four other links in it Ahahahahah.)