Miss. Buncle's Book

Wednesday, July 29, 2009


Countdown to vacation continues. T Minus 33 hours. I'm sorry, you'll have to excuse me dear readers, I'm one of those annoying people who is relentlessly cheerful in the days leading up to a vacation. And I'm so happy on the morning of departure that sometimes I start to annoy myself. Just be happy you won't have to be in the car with me as I'm leaving.

Speaking of counting (lamest segue ever, I know), it's that magical time again dear readers, time for the end of the week count (and for those new readers, I swear I'm not a moron, I do realize that the week doesn't end on Wednesday - but I started blogging on January 1st of this year and so this is where the end of my blogging week falls.)

For the week:

CHAPTERS - 153

PAGES - 1,887

For the year so far:

CHAPTERS - 4,256

PAGES - 54,280

Today's book, "The storyline of Miss Buncle's Book (1934) is a simple one: Barbara Buncle, who is unmarried and perhaps in her late 30s, lives in a small village and writes a novel about it in order to try and supplement her meagre income."

The plot for today's book was similar to a book I read for the blog just a few weeks ago, but the writing style of today's book was very different from that one. I originally planned to read this book a few weeks ago, but I read the first few pages and just couldn't get into it. So I set it aside and tried a second time, but again it just didn't hold my interest. Today was my third attempt, and I'm honestly surprised that I even bothered with a third attempt because I usually don't give a book this many chances. But, I'm glad that I did, because I ended up enjoying the book. The first couple of pages are rather dull - and a bit pointless - involving a long and tedious discussion of what time everyone in the town ate breakfast at, but once I got past that the book got a lot better.

Today's book was kind of like an old movie, where the plot really slowly unfolds - which turned out to have been a really horrible book for me to read today because I'm really tired. I seem to have the misfortune of picking out books that move really slowly on days when I'm really tired, and then I spend the whole day struggling to get through them. The one thing that did keep me awake was playing "Guess the time period." The copy of today's book that I read didn't have a dust jacket, and so I had no idea what time period it took place in until I went searching for a description for this entry. Not that it would have mattered if the book did have the dust jacket, because as I'm sure you've already realized by now I don't even bother reading those things closely enough to pick up on details such as the time period in question. I had narrowed it down to sometime between 1900 and 1960 (pathetic I know) - but I couldn't narrow it down beyond that. I figured it had to be at least the turn of the century because cars were mentioned a few times, but some time before 1960 because people wore hats a lot in the book. And, is it just me, or does a story instantly seem more fun when all the characters are wearing hats? Never mind, I'm pretty sure it's just me. Which reminds me, I almost forgot to pack my "I'm a Hollywood star from 1945 and I'm fabulous" hat.