The Castaways

Sunday, August 9, 2009


Books You May Have Actually Heard of Week

One of my dear readers (Matt) suggested that I do a special week where I read books that have either just been released or that have a lot of buzz surrounding them.

I usually read a ridiculous amount of books that are out of day - so I thought it would be a nice change of pace to read some books you may have actually heard of.

Today's book, "In the close-knit group of four successful Nantucket couples who call themselves the Castaways, Greg and Tess MacAvoy had what everybody wanted. Or so it seems to Delilah Drake, the voluptuous bon vivant Castaway married to staid farmer Jeffrey. But when Greg and Tess sail to Martha's Vineyard to celebrate their anniversary and mysteriously drown, their deaths stir up more secrets than there are tourists on the island's golden beaches. Hilderbrand (Barefoot) goes deep into each of the surviving Castaways' hearts, revealing old affairs and new entanglements."

Shallow thoughts:

  • I wasn't crazy about the writing style of today's book - but the plot was interesting enough to keep me reading despite that. Things did get a little confusing from time to time because so many of the characters in the book had dated one another. It started to feel like an episode of Beverly Hills 90210 after awhile (without all of the whining from Kelly and hideous outfits from Andrea, of course.)

  • Even though the book is over 300 pages, it felt a lot shorter. It was a very quick read. I would say that it would make a good beach read, but I wouldn't enjoy sitting by the beach reading about people who died by drowning in the water. But if you're not hyper-paranoid, and completely convinced that something bad will happen to you simply because you read something about it once, then go ahead and take this book to the beach.

  • And now it's time to talk about something really shallow, the picture of the author on the back of the book. The picture is huge, which made it impossible to ignore it until the book is over, which is what I normally like to do. But perhaps it's for the best this way. Now I've been saved from having that really jarring moment at the end of the book when I realize the author is nothing like I imagined. I have no idea why I do this, or why it's always such a suprise to me when it turns out that my mental image is wrong. I have never once been right, and yet I am still stunned every time when I find out that I'm wrong.