Mr. Hobbs' Vacation

Monday, August 3, 2009

Thank you so much dear readers, for playing WHERE IN THE WORLD IS A BOOK A DAY. Although we had some good guesses from all of you Nancy Drews/Hardy Boys, only two people were able to fully piece together the clues. A Book a Day's Vacation Headquarters were located on Mackinac Island.

Because we (and when I say we, I mean my V.P. - who took these pictures - and I) wanted you to be able to fully experience the Wetzel family vacation, we have taken some photographs with you in mind. So, although you won't be able to taste the fudge (or smell the manure), you'll still get to feel like you were there.


Day One: We arrived at the Hotel Iroquois, and I immediately began scoping out reading spots. This was the first reading spot I discovered, located on the lawn of our beachfront hotel. I'm looking a little glum in this picture because I hadn't yet discovered there was a bookstore on the Island. That would soon change . . .




Day Two: As you can see, I was feeling refreshed that morning. Here I am in our hotel room, trying to get a few pages read while the rest of my family got ready for breakfast. For some crazy reason, I always wake up with good hair, so naturally I had to commemorate the moment with a picture.




Here I am, getting some reading done, in front of the Arch Rock. I really think this picture captures the sense of adventure I felt during A Book a Day's first visit to a state park. (Fun fact: State parks comprise 80% of the Island.) Seconds after this picture was taken, Book wandered a little too close to the edge, and almost plummeted to an unfortunate end. I retrieved her using gum and string (just kidding!)


Ahh, relaxing in the hotel lobby after a long day of sightseeing and reading. I have no idea why, but I seem to have the ability to make the world into my living room (and blogging headquarters) - and here I am, kicking back and acting "like I own the place," as my Dad would say.






Day Three: I decided to do something different with my bangs that day - what do you think? We had breakfast at the Grand Hotel, I accidentally ate some wheat, and then I read in the Hotel garden. So it was a full morning.








We explored the gardens a little further and discovered another great reading spot, when suddenly my bangs decided to stop cooperating. I've potty trained children with less effort than it took to get those bangs to look decent.








Like a homing pigeon, I will find the book source no matter where I am. A bookstore and a library all within walking distance of my hotel . . . ahh paradise.







Today's book, "Mr. Hobbs is an overworked business man who seeks a quiet seaside vacation with his wife and family, including his grown daughters, sons-in-law and grandchildren. What he finds is a dilapidated beach house, nosey neighbors, and everything Hobbs does creates further complications."

Shallow thoughts:


Today's book started out with a really odd, and kind of boring, first chapter - but once I got past that part it was delightful. It had all of the warmth and charm not only of the movie (although I did miss the lack of Jimmy Stewart.) I enjoyed it just as much as the author's other book, Father of the Bride, and so now I think I'm going to have to search on Ebay for the author's other books (most of which are sadly out of print.)

One of my dear readers, Caroline, tagged my blog, which means that I'm supposed to open today's book to page 161 and copy out the fifth sentence - but, the fifth sentence was boring, so I'm going with the sixth sentence instead (I've always had an inability to follow directions anyway.) - "Viewed under the remorseless glare of a noonday sun, it struck him that modern women led rather a squaw's life."


I got to page 165 when suddenly I was filled with questions: Where was Mr. Hobbs' son? Why did it take me 165 pages to notice that one of the characters from the movie isn't in the book? Why do I have no ability to retain what I read? So many questions, and so few answers. I think it's really a shame that there was no sign of the son in the book, because I really related to him (he was obsessed with TV too.)