The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

Thursday, October 15, 2009


***From the Office of the Vice President of the Blog***
a.k.a. - Angie's ever-devoted little sister, Alissa


Dear Angie's Readers, Tonight's entry finds our county in a crisis. Ok, really just our blog. Due to the charms of country life (read: road construction), the telephone lines in and around the book a day headquarters have been unexpectedly cut off. As a result, tonight's entry is being dictated from Angie, via cell phone, to a secure location. Ok, really just to me in my apartment in far off and exciting Indianapolis. Given that I am a political geek (perhaps you've noticed, subtlety is not my specialty) I prefer to think of my apartment as the Camp David of the blog. You can indulge me in that delusion if you'd like. But either way, I hope to type Angie's words with the spirit and joie de vivre with with which she ordinarily brings to the blog. I appreciate your support during this difficult time and may God continue to bless the blog. (Too much?)

-Signed, Alissa, VP of the Blog and huge geek


As dictated: Dear Readers, while I am saddened to be unable to perform my usual blogging duties, I am heartened to think of the dramatic possibilities that this - my first major blogging crisis - will bring to the book a day experience. So far, I am pleased to report that I have handled this crises like a character on The Brady Bunch: with undaunted cheerfulness and an optimism that makes those around me cringe. However, unlike The Brady Bunch, this blogging crisis is unlikely to be resolved in 30 minutes. I've been informed that I can expect a return to normal blogging conditions sometime between now and Monday. This may result in some exciting alternative locations over the coming days! . . . stay tuned. In the meantime, I certainly hope that my neighbors have all found someone to whom they can dictate their blogs (te he).


Today's book "Iris Lockhart, a young Scottish woman, is suddenly informed that she has the power of attorney for her great aunt, Esme Lennox—who Iris never knew existed. Esme has been locked away in a mental institution for over 60 years—a fact never mentioned by her sister Kitty, Iris' grandmother, who now has Alzheimer's. In compelling prose, O'Farrell gradually pieces together the puzzle of Esme's life up to the age of 16, when her cold and repressive parents sent her away to the hospital that is now closing down."

Crisis-Induced Shallow Thoughts:

  • First, lets start with my most shallow thought: I really enjoyed the aesthetics, weight, and feel of today's book. There are certain books that are just enjoyable before you even open them: they feel just right in your hands, they have the perfect font size, they have a soothing color that is restful to the eye. Today's book fits that description perfectly. Does that make me a book freak dear readers, or do you find yourself thinking the similar thoughts with your own books?


  • Unfortunately dear readers, the content of the book did not live up to the aesthetics. It was well written, but I found myself floating across the surface of the story, rather than sinking down into the book as I would have preferred. I suppose I could blame this on my ADD (a diagnosis I still dispute, by the way) but its just easier to blame it on the author. Sorry Ms. O'Farrell... did I mention I liked your font?

And now (in a dramatic actor voice)"Tune in tomorrow dear readers for the continuing saga of Survivor: Indiana - She doesn't eat bugs, but she also can't check people.com"